Wednesday Woozles: Thanksgiving Dinner Safety

Wednesday Woozles: Thanksgiving Dinner Safety

This is a repeat of last year’s pre-Thanksgiving installment. I know some of us have questions about the safety of some foods and ingredients for our beloved woozles.


I love sharing my Thanksgiving meal with my pets, but I certainly don’t want to poison them. Today I hope to share with you some tips on what a Thanksgiving dinner can give you woozles.

First some funny photos.

word flow
advanced animal care
life with dogs

Since most of us have received our COVID vaccinations, many households have resumed their large family gatherings. Many will bring their pets. Here are some tips for both resident pets and four-legged travelers.


Now for the food: Here’s a list of typical Thanksgiving foods and ingredients I found:

Lean turkey is wonderful for woozles, in moderation, as well as most plain vegetables. It’s good for potties, too.

A little sauce spilled on our pets’ food is a real treat, but too much is too rich for most of our pets. The fats it contains can cause cramps, diarrhea, and even extremely painful pancreatitis.

Woozles and Pooties love to snag turkey bones, but try to keep them out of their reach. There is a possibility that they will splinter and cause bleeding in the digestive tract. No one needs an emergency run to the vet.

Plain mashed potatoes are also great for dogs, but too much can cause a spike in blood sugar levels if your woozle is diabetic. However, the butter and whipping cream in most mashed potatoes are not good for them. They can cause the same problems as the sauce.

Most woozles and pooties love giblets. They are impressive sources of vitamins but again, be careful with the fats. Also, if your pet has chronic kidney failure, they can overtax your pet’s kidneys. Most of your pets can enjoy them, but only in moderation. Save some for leftovers.

The padding presents problems. For one, there’s a ton of salt and butter. The green herbs it contains (parsley, sage, rosemary) are quite good, even medicinal, for dogs and cats. Parsley is a safe and natural diuretic. It’s the onions or onion powder, black pepper, and possibly garlic that are bad for them. Large amounts of onions can cause hemolytic anemia in both dogs and cats. Garlic is also a no-no. Black pepper can increase the absorption of any medication. It is best to skip it. In fact, it’s better to skip the filling altogether.

Grapes and raisins are more toxic to woozles and pooties than chocolate. Vets aren’t sure why yet, but grapes and raisins can cause acute kidney failure in dogs and cats. Keep them away from your pets.

Unbaked bread dough can cause dangerous bloating when it gets into woozles’ stomachs.

outer hound

As for the pumpkin pie, the pumpkin itself is good for both cats and dogs. It is packed with vitamins and fiber. Many kittens love it. Cinnamon, ginger, and cloves are also good for woozles. However, while a bite of the pie probably won’t harm your pets, the nutmeg that is present in pumpkin pie spice is toxic to pooties and woozles. It contains a component called myristicin that can cause abdominal pain, vomiting, increased heart rate and blood pressure, and even seizures. Cloves can also have a numbing effect on cats. And too much sugar is never good for your pets.

Pecans and walnuts are also particularly toxic to dogs (and horses). They contain a chemical called juglone which is the same thing that selectively kills certain plants that grow around your trees. It is also toxic to our pets.

Caffeine can make our pets jittery, just like people, only more so.

Chocolate contains a component called theobromine. Our pets’ bodies cannot metabolize it like ours can. A sufficient amount will cause cardiac arrhythmias, muscle tremors, seizures, and even death. And vets have no antidote.

Alcoholic beverages should be a no-brainer, unless you want drunken pets to stagger.

life with dogs
paw print
stray dogs
Animal Comedy – Cheezburger

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Leave a Comment